How to Combat Financial Toxicity
The global pandemic crisis has created a new atmosphere of uncertainty and anxiety -- one that is all too familiar to cancer patients; especially those affected by financial toxicity.
Financial Toxicity is the emotional, mental, and physically debilitating – and often life-threatening - financial side effects induced by cancer treatment.
- Research has reported a 130% increase in financial difficulties for patients in active treatment.
- Between 20-30% of women diagnosed with breast cancer will lose their jobs.
- 41% of breast cancer patients alter or skip their medication or treatment to save money.
- 10M will be unable to pay for rent, food, and utilities because of medical bills.
- Patients who filed for medically related bankruptcy had a 79% greater risk of early mortality.
We understand that during this crisis, these financial barriers are heightened immensely. In spite of this, we are working harder than ever to support breast cancer patients and their families.
We have compiled this list of tips to combat financial toxicity – please feel free to download and share this resource throughout the community.